Friday, August 1, 2008

Things I miss

When talking to my sister-in-law, Eva, on Skype the other day she asked me what are the things that I miss now that I've been here nearly a year.

My initial response (at least mentally) is that I try not to think about things that I miss.  It makes being away from all that you know that much harder if you dwell on the differences too much.  My actual answer to her was Nestle's chocolate chips.  (My baking specialty is choco chip cookies. ) The chocolate chips you can buy here are tiny, almost as if they were the seeds to grow regular chocolate chips.  You would have to buy 3 bags of the local chips to match just one of Nestle's (or Hershey's, whatever...).  I haven't tried cooking with them yet, but seeing that I just used up my last bag of Nestle's (thanks to a stash sent by Tammy) I will be given the local ones a try next.

Since Eva asked me that question, I have been giving some thought to it.  I feel safe to do so now, being more secure in living here.  There are only a couple material items from the States that I wish I could get here.  Strange items, like Jiffy peanut butter (thanks to a  recent trip to Athens by Eva's friends, we are now stocked up!) and Playtex tampons.  There are some things I try to buy while in the States, but only because those products are so much cheaper there.

The other things I miss are less tangible. 
 - Having a job.    It would nice to be productive again, both literally and financially.  Not to mention the opportunities for meeting and having a connection with new people.  Ok, some days it's nice to be lazy in the morning, my hardest decision being when I should head for the gym/beach/supermarket.

- an easy place to ride my bike.  I was a bit spoiled in the San Ramon Valley with it's Iron Horse Trail.  Straight, nice views, and no car traffic except when crossing a street.  I don't know how Vasilis rides like he does here (averaging 40km per ride).  I have biked on the streets here once, on a quiet Sunday morning.  It was ok, but I prefer to concentrate on the biking and accompanying workout and not simply staying alive!  There's just not a lot of space on the roads for cars sometimes, much less a bike.  There is a local park that is actually great for my mountain bike - I just have to get into shape for the hills and rocks.  Maybe after my knee gets sorted out.

- affordable prices.  I remember spending many an afternoon in the States shopping because I was bored.  None of that here.  Not only are prices higher here, but salaries lower.  I am not quite clear on how it's done, to tell you the truth.  I take the added hit of the low dollar to Euro conversion - so it's only necessities for this gal.  A weekend newspaper is a splurge, at 2.20 Euro (~$3.40) and don't even start me on book prices!

- ability to buy products that don't seem like "travel size".   I'm not talking about Costco sizes here, just what you can find at a typical Safeway.  I have noticed that homes have less storage space (for everyday use items) than what I am used to.  This is the only reason it makes sense to sell smaller.  I'd swear that a tube of toothpaste doesn't last us much more than a couple weeks.  

- having more than CNN as my TV news source.  I can sometimes understand dramas in Greek, but I think the news will be the last things to really sink in.  And CNN is pretty lame.  Thank god for the web...

Missing family and friends is a given - but that's one I still don't let myself think about too much.  What I wouldn't give to have everyone over for a BBQ! 

Had I started this list 9 months ago, I think it would have been considerably longer.  That's good news for me, speaking to how much more comfortable I am here.  Ok, I do still have my moments, but they are far less frequent.  During those moments, Vasilis will jokingly ask if I want to go back to the States and my honest answer is always "no".  Even in the hardest times, I would prefer to experience life here, getting to know the country of my husband and my ancestors.

No comments: