Friday, August 1, 2008

Things I love about Greece

Obviously, after listing the things I miss (and various other posts about what is different here) I should follow with something positive!

In this crowded city, people's balconies become their yards.  Firstly, I think everyone has a balcony of some size or another.  In a sunny country like this it would be crazy to not add some outdoor living to your home.  The balcony directly across from our is that of a family with 3 children.  They have put up mesh along the railing area to keep the kids and their toys in.  The children ride small bikes and other toys and it's generally used as a play area in good weather.  Next to them is a woman with a swinging chair (she's swinging as I type, while others have a late lunch at the table).  And there's the plants! I've decided that a balcony without plants indicates a home that is either not used or not currently rented out.  Dogs spend some time on the balconies as well.  Many people have asked me if I had a dog when they hear barking on the phone.  Nope, just the noisy neighbors.

I am realizing that a whole blog could be filled on what you can see about people's lives through their balcony.  Perhaps another time.

The driving.  Some people might list this under their "what's insane about Greece" category.  But I like it.  Rules are really suggestions in this country.  I feel a bit more free in what I can do (illegal turns, parking nearly wherever).  It gets scary on the freeway, simply due to the speeds people drive and their impatience for you to get the hell out of their way.  Barring that (we don't spend a lot of time on the freeways) I'm good with it.

Friendly greetings .  The hardest thing for me to get a hang of, the social niceties and things you say upon greeting and leaving friends, but it's great to watch in action.  You can be wished good day, good month (on the first of the month) and even good week.  There's also good trip, the equivalent of "bon appetite", and something that roughly translates to "to your life/living".  Often, you will receive a variety of these wishes from someone.  All I can usually manage is "thank you" or "and to you".  Weak. 

Tavernas.   I love everything about the tavernas except for the chairs.  They are all uncomfortable, requiring the use of at least 2 (one to put a leg up on it's rungs, another to drape one's arm over...).  However, the food, the relaxed social atmosphere, the house wines even.  I love it all.  Meat tavernas or Ouzeries (serving fish foods and ouzo) - both work for me.  Although I usually lean towards meat.

The local market.  Every Friday the market sets up a few blocks from our house.  I head on down with my bag and fill it up with fresher produce than I can find at the supermarket.  It's a lively experience and also offers household wares, linens, curtains, clothes and other random crap.  I usually pass on that section.

Local owned shops.  Typical of most neighborhoods, within a few blocks from here I can find: a pharmacy, a mini market, a bakery, and a butchers.  This is probably more in line with city living than anything, but I love it nonetheless.  Especially when you get to know the owners.

The beach.  Being able to go to the beach, even after Vasilis gets off work, is fantastic.  Yes, there are beaches in other countries, but who else do you know that can daily go and swim at the beaches of Greece!?  Blue and green waters where you can see the little fishies swimming at your feet.  And, feeling particularly chubby?  No worries, showing extra layers of skin is all the rage for all ages.

Traveling through the country  - you can't go wrong.  Every time we go somewhere I am happy to just drive around at look at the scenery.   It's so easy to fall into the relaxed atmosphere of Greece when you head into the villages.

Of course, the thing I love most about Greece is that this is where my husband is and I don't want to be anywhere without him!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brionna - this blog brings back many fond memories of our visit in May/June...but you didn't mention the other scenic attractions at the beach!