Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sign of spring

So for the last few years I have watched in fascination as I come across lines of caterpillars such as these. Today, while out for a walk, I saw such a parade at the park by my house. I quick-like went home to get my camera. I've been wanting to take a picture of them for some time.
In doing so, I finally prompted myself to find out what they are exactly. It seems they are the Pine Processionary Caterpillar. I have learned that they can be quite destructive, although I haven't seen evidence of that. Happily, I also learned in my readings not to touch them - evidently contact with their little hairs can cause rashes and eye irritation.

More often than not, you see what's left of these hairy conga lines after they have been trampled. It's a bit gross really, their little bodies squished on the sidewalk or streets.



Here's a great video someone took of them, showing you how long they can string out. The group I saw today was a measly 33 critters.



2 comments:

Brita said...

That is cool! Insects - proving that tiny brains can still do cool things. :)

Brionna said...

Brita - I thought I was proof of that! ;-)