Sunday, July 20, 2008

Heat

I don't know what I was thinking after the end of last summer (~Sept).  We experienced a short heat wave soon after I got here and had our share of hot days.  I don't remember particularly enjoying those days, but managed to make it through.  For whatever reason, when summer hit this year, I was not clear on what a whole one would look like.

Am clear now.

Since coming here, I have drastically adjusted what I consider hot.  Before moving here I would start groaning if the outside temperature was to hit 80, now I am happy if it's near that inside.  I have set up a cheap little thermometer on the kitchen bar, straddling the kitchen and living room.  Since I put it out there, the coolest the room has been is 75 degrees (that was an exciting morning for me!).  The day usually starts at 78 and hangs out around 82.  Of course, we do have AC. I think I would have moved to Norway by now if we didn't. I have made 83 my threshold for starting it up in the main room.  The nights we use it in our bedroom, we make a quick sacrifice to the AC gods before going to sleep.  Ok, the sacrifice is usually a mosquito, but it's the thought that counts.  

Should we talk external temps now?  The lowest I've seen the forecast in some time is 86  - but the highs usually range from 89 to 97.  On the days where it gets to 100, I head for the beach.  I was a bit dismayed once I noticed this trend and realized there was still a whole summer to get through.  

As a note, all the temps above are converted from the Celsius readings I see.  The forecasts are given for the temp in the shade - so what it is in the sun is not only depressing but can quickly kick your ass on the hotter days.  Just hanging out my laundry this afternoon off the back (sun facing) balcony was almost too much for me.

What they say about a dry heat though is totally right, though.  I would take this over the humid South any day.  Fortunately it's not so dry that you feel the need to spray water up your nose and then coat it with vaseline to keep it from cracking and disintegrating from the inside.

Now, I know there are many people who live in much hotter areas, but I am here and this is my blog.  With all the adjustments one makes moving to a new country - weather is a "safe" topic of complaint.

Silver lining:  
- The laundry dries in no time.  
- Most people are smart enough to get out of the city for some time during the summer, so the place is deserted.   (see previous Ghost Town post).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, Brionna. Keep 'em coming...we enjoy the writeups.
--Dad

Unknown said...

And you want me to come and visit you this time next year? Are you trying to kill me! :^)
Looking forward to hanging out next year.
-Cheesey

figsmom said...

Just think Buffalo NY in Jan/Feb. It might cool you down.
Yes, dry heat sucks in so many ways. Other than the dealing with the climate, what else is going on?

figsmom said...

Hey hooch... you there?~!!!!!

I miss your SMRT asssssss.....