Friday, July 24, 2009

A shame

One of the truths of summer is fires. That can be said of many
countries, but in Greece there are an unfortunate number started on
purpose, and we're not talking controlled burns. Land that is
considered forest can't be built upon. So, people burn said forest so
building can take place later on. A fabulous system, don't you
think? I get so mad every time I see a fire here, some people just
have no respect for their surroundings or the environment.

The pictures above represent two different fires within 5 days. The
first pics are taken from my balcony. The fire which generated this
smoke was many miles away, but with the high winds the smoke carried
over towards us. I first thought a sandstorm had blown up from Africa
(it does happen), but realized we had North winds blowing so was
confused. I had called Vasilis, out on his bike ride, to alert him in
case he wanted to be picked up. Turns out he was relatively near the
fires whose smoke I was seeing. Fortunately it wasn't affecting him,
so didn't need rescuing.

The last two photos were near a friend's house, an area which had
experienced a much larger fire a couple months ago. The picture I
took was at the beginning of the fire - when we returned a couple hours
later it had swept over a decent-sized area, sadly burning up a local man's
beehives perched on the hill to the right of the photos. I didn't
take the "after" picture, as the firefighters were just leaving the
area and I was a little shy about snapping shots.

No comments: